Who do you say Jesus is? Jesus asked this same question to his disciples about what others thought of him and then asked what they thought of him.
Jn.5:37: "And the Father himself, who sent me, has borne witness of me. You have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. ‘Jesus gives the source of his commission, which is from the Father personally. It is the Fathers voice and form they have not seen, yet Christ has.
Christ who is called the exact image of the invisible Father is the voice that the people heard. He then says that they search the Scriptures in them you think you have eternal life but they testify of me."(v.39) The Son is said to be the eternal life with the Father. Are we to believe the Scriptures testify of only a human being and not God himself? In the end of the discourse Jesus says in vs.46-47 "If you believed Moses you would believe Me; for he wrote about me. But if you don’t believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"
When did Moses write of him? Deut.18:15-19: "The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear, "according to all you desired of the LORD your God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, 'Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, nor let me see this great fire anymore, lest I die.' "And the LORD said to me: 'What they have spoken is good. 'I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. 'And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him." Jesus claims to be the prophet Moses spoke of that should listen to. Notice that it says they did not want to hear the voice of the Lord anymore or see his glory in Horeb. Then God says he will put his words in a future prophets mouth if they do not listen to his words, God will require it of him." This very thing Jesus said of himself in Jn.8:24 "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am (He), you will die in your sins."
- John 6:51:"I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever;"
- John 8:23: And He said to them, "You are from beneath; I AM from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
- John 8:12: Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I AM the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."
- John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."
- John 10:9: "I AM the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture."
- John 10:11: "I AM the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
- John 10:36: "do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?
- John 11:25: Jesus said to her, "I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
- John 14:6: Jesus said to him, "I AM the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- John 15:1: "I AM the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.
- John 19:2: Therefore the chief priests of the Jews said to Pilate, "Do not write, 'The King of the Jews,' but, 'He said, "I am the King of the Jews."'"
- Acts 7:32: Stephen speaking of Moses' encounter at the burning bush "saying, 'I am the God of your fathers-- the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.' And Moses trembled and dared not look."
- Acts 9:5: And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" And the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads."
The I Am In the Old Testament was whatever man needed. He became, he was his all in all. Jesus in the New Testament uses all the examples to show who He is. He is everything to man and the only way to God.
The most important of all the statements is in John 8:24 after he tells them I am not of this world.
"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am [He], you will die in your sins." ( he is not in the original). He is communicating to them he is the same I AM that Moses met at the burning bush which commissioned him.
Christ's Deity Was questioned many times in different ways, and many times it was Affirmed by both God and manThe IF of Satan- IF Thou art the Son of God command that these stones be made bread" (Matt, 4- 3).
God's Testimony: -This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased" (Matt. 3:17 ) Affirmed by God the Father.
The IF Of 'the Jews- 'IF You are the Christ, tell us plainly" (John 10: 24).
Christ's Testimony v.25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me."v.36"I am the Son of God.". Affirmed by Jesus
The IF of the Chief Priests- "If He is the King of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross, and we will believe Him." (Matt 27:42)
Nathanael's Testimony: -"Thou art the Son of God, Thou art the King of Israel" (John 1: 16). Affirmed by a Jew with no guile. Luke 23:38And an inscription also was written over Him in letters of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS
The IF of the passersby-'IF Thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross" (Matt. 27: 40).
The Centurion's Testimony-Truly this was the Son of God" (Matt. 27: 54). Affirmed by a Roman witness
The IF of the Rulers- "Let Him save Himself IF He be the Christ, the chosen of God" (Luke 23: 35).
the Father "If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. John 8:54
the IF of the Pharisee "This man, IF He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner."
Jesus’ testimony But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men, John 2:24
Luke 19:10"for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." Affirmed by Jesus
The IF of the high priest -"I put You under oath by the living God: Tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God!" (Matt 26:63)
Jesus’ Testimony "It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven." Matt 26:64 affirmed by Jesus
The thief’s testimony Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." (Luke 23:42) Affirmed by a criminal put to death.}
Why would Satan challenge on his being the Son of God if son only meant his humanity or being a child of God in the general sense like anyone else. It was an assault on His true person who He was before he came to earth. For one to claim specifically to be God's Son was to claim a unique relationship that no one else has. In Jn.5:18, the Jews wanted to kill him because He said God was his Father, making himself equal with God (in nature.) This meant a special relationship that excludes anyone else is able to have. In Jn.10:30 Jesus claimed “I and my Father are one.” In V.33 the Jews pick up stones because they understood this as blasphemy in v.36 Jesus interprets what He meant by saying, “because I said, I am the Son of God.”
4 TITLES of Son are used in the New Testament:
- The Son of Adam- Means he is a man (Son of Man) within the lineage of humanity.
- Son of David- Means Jesus is a King a descendent of David being an heir to his throne.
- Son of Abraham- Means Jesus is of a Jewish descent.
- Son of God –Means Jesus is God just as the Father is God. The phrase "Son of"- is used among the ancients to refer to one who has the same nature as...Son of God, means he has the same nature as God. He was called THE Son of God, being unique one of a kind.